Monday, May 2, 2011

Blog 5: Conclusion and Self-Assessment

Wow! I cannot believe the amount of knowledge I've gained about web 2.0 tools and how useful they can be in the classroom! Yes, exclamation point! Previous to this class, I referred to myself as a self-proclaimed techno-tard. So sorry if that seems so politically incorrect! To stress the point, however, I formally regarded myself as someone with just enough knowledge and experience with anything that had anything to do with the computer as to be dangerous to myself and others. I knew just enough to screw everything up!

BUT NOW: I'm a new woman. I feel enlightened and empowered. I formally embraced the idea of the web-based technology out there as just another "game" kids could play. How could they be researching while creating an avatar and exploring the rainforests of Costa Rica? Thankfully, it has been revealed to me that there is a plethora of programs "out there" to not only entertain, but also teach our kids. I am constantly reminded that we are all students.

Let's face it: the 21st century student is unique to many of us. This child springs from the womb with an inherent and energetic ability to control a keyboard, an MP3, a search engine. It's up to us to direct that energy. As a prospective librarian (and currently a teacher), I plan to keep my listserv current, stay updated with the latest web 2.0 tools, and stay constant with my colleagues through blogs and emails. I have discovered that blogs, social bookmarking, and collaborative projects that incorporate tools such as GoogleDocs will help me stay current with innovations and news-worthy happenings. The ultimate goal is learning, utilizing, and teaching this ever-changing and connecting technology to educators and students alike.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your page by the way!

    I have to agree with the statement about the kids today. We have so many teachers that are severely running behind what these kids already know. I have encouraged many teachers in my district to attend a workshop called the 21st Century Learner: Are you catching up or leading the way? It is very fitting for the times we are in and what we need to know for the benefit of students coming our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You comments made me think about the way technology has changed in my life time. I can remember rotary phones where you really did "dial" the phone, black and white TV, and music on 45's and LP's. Kids today have grown up with technology that changes constantly, but like you said- they grow up knowing how to use it. I hope as librarians we can show them innovative ways to use the technology they already are familiar with using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem though as always is that technology does keep changing. Right now most of what we have covered is applications. In the future though the question will grow beyond what software can we function with, and grow to include new forms of hardware and change how we interact with the virtual and real worlds.

    Still, this is interesting following all that has happened as our world changes .I look forward to seeing what is unveiled next.

    ReplyDelete