Friday, January 28, 2011

strengths and weaknesses in technology

As an educator, I can safely admit that my weaknesses in technology greatly outweigh my strengths.  For instance, just creating this blog resulted in assistance from my daughters and a glass of wine!  I'm not interesting in participating in any social network for several reasons, namely: I'm uncertain of the safety of these mediums, and quite frankly, I feel as though we as humans are way too caught up in ourselves.  I'm afraid that using this mode of communication takes us from faceo-to-face conversation.  I'm afraid we're losing the ability to interact at a physical level.  Eye-to-eye contact is priceless.  My fear is that my closed-mindedness will restrict my ability to embrace these opportunities as learning opportunities.  I hope to have the time to investigate this a bit more so my fear will go away.

My one strength, however, is the use of the Promethean board in the classroom.  We have come so far in the way we teach, and thankfully, this engages students in ways that lecture alone never will be able to.  I enjoy creating flipcharts, and using the Internet to research different topics is fabulous. I plan to continue using this tool in my class.

1 comment:

  1. My husband seemed to be obsessed with Facebook for a while, but now he doesn't spend as much time on it. You should join, you would be surprised how many friends from years ago contact you. You don't have to check it obsessively!

    ReplyDelete